Oblong Industries g-speak spatial operating system

by EvidentlyLtd,

Anyone that's seen Minority Report will no doubt remember the impressive gesture based computer system that Tom used in his unceasing (well until the film ended anyway) hunt for future murders.

Oblong Industries has announced a new spatial operating system based on hand gestures that bears a pretty close resemblance to the one used at PreCrime. Hardly surprising since the company comprises members of the science advisors to Spielberg's moody sci-fi.

Personally, I'm yet to see the value in these kind of operating systems. In the examples I've seen so far, gesture seems to clumsy an approach. It might look impressive but why would I opt for a gesture based word processor when I can use a keyboard (either button or touch screen) or a pen and paper. OK, typing is a gesture and so is writing ergo, there must be a way to adapt them but where is the improvement? How does this make my job easier?

Personally I see touch as a more value-able improvement in computer interface but even then, I don't think you can replace a mouse with a finger. You can guide a mouse with a finger but not replace it. As an editor I need accuracy. I click where I want the cut to go. If I pressed on the screen where it should cut, I do not believe it would be accurate enough unless I was REALLY zoomed in, and then what you gain in touch you loose in simple speed of use. Anyone that's tried to type a message on an iPhone will tell you how wayward it's interpretation of your taps can be.

Of course the first example of a system is never the best and before too long there will be better and better versions of the system with more and more practical applications. I can see 3D models being much easier to work with but thats about it.

Posted via web from Nuno Luciano

Commentaires