Why You Should Never Search For Free WordPress Themes in Google or Anywhere Else

Siobhan Ambrose looked through the first page of Google to see how safe pages ranking for “Free WordPress Themes” are - many more base64!

"Encrypted code found! First site on Google and we’ve already come across Base64 :( Poor me….. Base64 is often used to hide malicious code. I can see that the code is in the footer. Let’s take a look at that (...)

I downloaded another 2 themes from this site and they all contained base64 code. Base 64 does not necessarily just hide links. It can also hide malicious code which can run amok on your site. Not only that but the site, while maintaining that its themes are fresh, is pushing themes built by other designers that the site owner has put base64 code into (...)

I downloaded a few other themes which contained static links and no base64. I guess that this site is a bit hit and miss. However, with the previous site I could get it decoded and this, no go. A search on some forums for the pieces of code in the footer indicate that it may be encrypted code used for hacking :( I ain’t techie enough to know and I suspect that most WordPress users aren’t either. In that case…
"

Read more...
Why You Should Never Search For Free WordPress Themes in Google or Anywhere Else

Commentaires